Road Conditions and car rentals

Re: Road Conditions and car rentals

Postby white sister » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I must say, I am amazed by the responses I've gotten on this one. The comments all substantiate my feelings at the time when the Hertz rep thrust her paperwork into my face and demanded that I write up the "report" of the accident that I repeatedly told her had not happended.
The real shocker was the blank piece of paper, that was part of this pile of forms, where I was supposed to repeat the same information I was supposed to write on the formal paperwork...no amount of arguing with her made her back down....I finally told her I had no intentions of doing such a thing, in any way, shape or form.
When I got back to the states and tried to deal with it over the internet, with the St John's office, my frustration didn't change any; I just found myself dealing with an anonymous entity while I kept admiring my suntan and reminding myself I had actually had a good time in spite of this event. And I had learned a new word translation...."tipping", meant scratching a car vs landing it on it's roof after an unfortunate accident.....and here I had just "tipped" the hotel staff without leaving a scratch on any of them...... ;)
Since my family do not drive, I await my next adventure in October! Rest assured, I will look into all the suggestions I have gotten here.
white sister

Postby worriedme1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:35 am

let us not get things out of proportion.The vast majority of people who hire cars do not have difficulties.The british no doubt find driving easier because Antiguans ,like the british, drive on the correct side of the road.The secret is to find those providers who supply good vehicles and an excellent service.Readers of this forum will see numerous tips as to who and who is bad.

My experience is that while a taxi or a bus may be fine for those inside it there are a proportion of taxi and bus drivers who are a hazard to other road users
worriedme1

Postby Canuck » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 am

Good morning everyone . This was a great subject . Bottom line here is , if you decide to rent a vehicle make sure you choose a reliable agency . Second do a walk around prior to signing off for the vehicle make notes of any damage you see on th contract . Third Insurance is very important do you take the vendors or go with your own ? If you go with your own ask the agency if they will deal direct if anything was to happen (I hve a feeling they wont) If they say yes have them make note on your policy and sign it . If you go with their Insurance ask about deductable policy . Cover all the basis . In 99% of cases nothing may happen its the 1% you have to worry about . Being from North America driving on the wrong side of the road can make driving a little bit more of a challenge . Its up to each person to decide which they prefer , rental , taxi , bus . 8-)
Canuck

Postby Mango1969 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 am

This subject has me somewhat nervous. We are arriving next week (March 3) and are renting a car from Thrifty. I have Googled all of the reviews on Thrifty (very few out there) and the ones that I have found are positive. Anyone have any info on Thrifty? We are renting a small SUV for a base rate of $250, which sounded reasonable to me. I am covered through my credit card for accidental damage, but not for liability. I am thinking about taking any coverage that is offered.

I have driven on the "wrong-side" (haha) of the road in the USVI and did not have any problems. Are there any areas to avoid at all costs because of road conditions. We don't plan on getting too far off of the beaten path. Current thinking is: Beaches (Valley Church, Ffryes, Darkwood, Turner's, Deep Bay, Dickenson Bay, Half Moon Bay, Long Beach Bay, and Pigeon Point) and then seeing the sights in St. John and English Harbour.

Any advise on driving in general and in the areas mentioned would be appreciated.
Mango1969

Postby dog lover » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

We rent every year from Avis using a corporate rate which is the best we have yet to find. I have checked with my local auto insurance company and the credit card company and feel that the cost of the additional insurance is un-warranted. I do recommend that everyone check with their respective insurance agents and CC companies as these things can change at any time. Most of the roads are getting better each year, especially since 1987 which was my first visit, however I advise being extra cautious after dark as many Antiguans ride bicycles or walk in the roads and do not wear reflective clothing. There are numerous speed bumps or "sleeping Policemen" :lol: :lol: on the roads near schools. As far as driving on the right or wrong side of the road, having spent a great deal of time in the UK, I think that we Americans drive on the opposite side. Since Antigua was once a British colony, that should explain why they drive on the left side. If you are a good driver with the frame of mind that you are in someone elses country and drive accordingly you should be fine.

Like all things in life, there is something for everyone, Rental cars, Taxis and Buses.

Enjoy your holiday
Dave
dog lover

Postby juliebrown » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Just drive carefully and be aware of what is around you and don't do it under the influence of drink and you will be fine

The roads are not as bad as they used to be but not as good as you may be used to....so just remember that and take it into account

Chill and take it easy and enjoy

Juliex
juliebrown

Location: Lichfield UK (St James's Club Village when in Antigua)

Postby Canuck » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm

The Big Question you need to confirm to me is this .... You check with your Credit Card or Insurance Co at home and they say your covered under their plans However you need to take care to make 100% sure with your rental company in Antigua if in fact anything goes wrong be it an accident or personal injury problem . Will they honor and work with whoever you are insured with . I hav a feeling they wont if they say they do have it noted on your contract and signed . It may be a long shot that you will be involved in any problem however it does happen .
Canuck

Postby Sunrise » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Sunrise

Postby franbanks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:23 pm

;) :lol: :!: ...............And dont park where coconuts can fall on your car, they do a lot of damage and will cost you your excess :ugeek:
And i think paying by credit card or debit card will in the end cost you more than paying by cash

Regards

Fran 8-)
franbanks

Postby dog lover » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Like everything in life " buyer beware"

Falling Coconuts, I hadn't considered those. :lol:
Dave
dog lover

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports