what do things cost?

what do things cost?

Postby cbbump » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:22 pm

Considering Antigua for a 2 week stay. Would appreciate some average costs for meals & beverages in US dollars. Lodging appears a little higher than other islands I've visited and I'm just trying to get a "financial feel" of Antigua. An average lunch would cost approximately? dinner? a beer? Any supermarket prices you'd like to share. Thanks much. CB
cbbump

Re: what do things cost?

Postby Harvey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:07 am

Regarding cost of lodging in Antigua. At the moment, if you are inclined to make your own arrangements, most resort managers are more than willing to discount accommodation rates , sometimes heavily. I haven't seen much indication of restaurants doing the same as yet.
Harvey

Postby carlylsdad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 pm

It's a little hard to answer your question. First lodging costs do depend on the season, with post November being the most costly. Then, it depends on where. Some of the larger resorts can get quite expensive, but some of the smaller more quaint places can be resonable. As for food, well again it depends on where. The local places are reasonable, but you have to like the local fare. The places that are comperable to restaurants in the US, tend to be on the more expensive side. A nice dinner for two can be between $100-$125 US. without much difficulty. There are some all inclusives, but it is better to enjoy the restaurants in Antigua than eat all you meals in one place.
carlylsdad

Postby DougYWG » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Prices at Epicurean, Woods Mall. I have picked out only those things that would be widely available in the U.S. or Canada. All in EC:

2.92 1.5l water
2.59 V8 small can
2.85 yoghurt
3.92 Wadadli Gold can beer
7.26 Sam Adams bottle
2.75 Canada Dry tonic can
1.95 Kellogg's raisin bran, single serving box
2.75/lb red onions
4.50/lb lemons
12.50/lb yellow peppers
8.25 Del Monte sliced peaches can
6.59 frozen peas, 14oz
25.39 Mrs. Smith's mince pie
3.25 Hunt's tomato paste, small can
DougYWG

Postby moni » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:14 pm

Just to add to Doug's price list, the following are from the Epicurean at Jolly Harbour and all prices are in ECDs.
1 USD=2.68 ECD approx.

21.95 Cavalier Rum, 1.75L
16.45 Tropicana Red Grapefruit Juice
6.26 Evian Mineral water
3.75 Sunkist Light Tuna
25.99 Hellmann's Mayonnaise
5.99 Pita bread
6.00 Brown bread
7.75 French baguette
5.78 Hersheys King Size choc bar
9.95 Box Variety Donuts
3.35 McVities Marie Biscuits
7.61 English Cheddar cheese
10.75 Dozen Large Eggs
6.75 Iceberg Lettuce
6.46 Canteloupe Melon
4.50 Avocado

Cheers
moni
moni

Postby robby breadner » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 pm

as moni said, it does depend the the type of traveler you are.

sitting down can range as widely here in Antigua as at home.
diner style = local fare
roadside when carefully referred, is an excellent way to inexpensive eats.

Samir's on All-Saints road does a great shawarma and pretty good (reasonably priced) pizza

this morning i had a terrific sandwich at the ladies down in front of the post office $8 EC = approx $3.50 US. excellent.
that's a bite to grab.

sit down at Delightful chinese food, cost us $90. EC = $33. US, for 3 plates + appetizer + 2 soft drinks. it was okay.

OJ's is very reasonable for beachside, sit-down. be patient.
THE GALLERY is a bit more, and very good.
LIFE BAR does very decent Indian food.

none of these exceed what you'd pay at home.

groceries can be a bit more. but if you want the same (processed) foods that you get at home, be prepared to pay more. they have to ship it down.

markets...
FARMER'S MARKET saturdays has all fresh produce. check it out (any day, but the choice varies from day to day).
EPICUREAN is great for selection, but not the cheapest (cheaper up north than jolly harbour).
BAILEYS is your best bet for market in the south.
GLORIA'S is more local, much cheaper, lacks the selection of visitor may want.

all the best.
robby breadner
publisher@365antigua.com
info on antigua: http://www.365antigua.com
antigua connecting to ontario canada: http://www.365ontario.info
robby breadner

Postby cbbump » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks so much to all! When we travel we like to experience the local flavor as much as possible and the local cuisine sounds very reasonable. We prefer the smaller "ma & pa" type resorts and a beachfront bungalow is ideal. We are self-sufficient, low-maintenance types. We like to snorkel, explore, hang-out, and meet the locals at happy hour. We are in our early 50s. We prefer to be in an area where there is some action (activity) going on, but not "too much"...if that makes sense. Looking for R&R, but not boredom. LOL. I just stumbled across Antigua & find it to be intriguing. Based on the limited amount of info I've read, it sounds like Jolly Harbor area might be the area for us??? Any other suggestions based on what I've told you about ourselves??? Once again, I appreciate your responses and suggestions. We will be traveling the last 2 weeks of March if that's relative. Thanks!!
cbbump

Postby andrewc52002 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:58 pm

What about fresh fish ?
And cigarettes.
thank you
andrewc52002

Postby moni » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:03 pm

Jolly Harbour sounds like it might suit, there are restaurants and bars as well as the Epicurean supermarket. The beach is one of the most beautiful on the island, you can choose to be close to the action or be somewhere fairly isolate should you want solitude, the beach is long enough to do that. There are villas available for rent in Jolly Harbour, see http://www.vrbo.com.

Cheers
moni
moni

Postby mizgeorge » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:22 pm

andrewc52002 wrote:What about fresh fish ?
And cigarettes.
thank you

fresh fish depends on whether you buy direct from a fisherman or go down to the market.

Cigs are generally $7 ec a pack, or $19us for a carton duty free.
mizgeorge

Next

Return to Trip Reports