Tourist Murder near Pigeon Beach

One of the things we have to be careful of is that there are many people on the internet who take great pleasure in slamming destinations for a variety of reasons. Some of these people will take a news item on crime and manipulate it to cause more harm than good. We want this forum to be a helpful place to people planning on having a holiday on Antigua. Read here to find out about things that will help to make your holiday safer as well as to find out about news items related to crime in Antigua.
Forum rules
We are all guests of the Antigua and Barbuda Tourist Board here on this forum. Feel free to post a news item taken from a trustworthy news source. This is not meant to be a debate section and THREADS MAY BE LOCKED AT ANY TIME AFTER A NEWS ITEM HAS BEEN POSTED and things sound like they are getting out of hand. Please post safety ideas and tips as well. Let us know about great policies that some hotels and businesses are practising. Also comment on areas of security you feel that some hotels, businesses or the police need to do better at managing. This is meant to be a site which will help not only tourists but also the Tourism product of Antigua and Barbuda. Tourism is everyone's business.

Tourist Murder near Pigeon Beach

Postby Expatdude » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:39 am

I just heard about the terrible murder of an American tourist Nina Elizabeth Nilssen near Pigeon point Beach. It's terrible when you hear about incidents like this and there is very little that one can say to the family but they have our heart felt condolences at their loss.
The Police appear to have identified a suspect and he shouldn't be hard to find given his description and the size of the island.
Expatdude

Re: Tourist Murder near Pigeon Beach

Postby -eli- » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:52 am

indeed a sad week here in Antigua.
-eli-

Postby sandysnow » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 am

This is indeed tragic! I know it happens everywhere and also in a lot of other Caribbean islands, but no excuse for complacency. After reading about the British honeymooning couple, then Captain Golan, I was hesitant; now this, after booking our first trip to Antigua; I am really re-thinking MY decision but am committed, so what to do, not go outside? It's just sad that we can't protect ourselves anymore, neither can the authorities. This history has got to be hurting Antigua tourism. I'm not even going to tell my husband, he'll want to bring protection. Not funny - as I am really saddened that this happened and keeps happening everywhere.
sandysnow

Postby phelana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:39 am

It's beyond sad. The island and English Harbour community does not need this and the fact that a family is mourning after what was supposed to be holiday is horrible.

I still feel the island is safe considering the crimes elsewhere. Resorts in the DR and Mexico have armed guards. Robbery and crime in some of the island islands is rampant. On Cape Cod where I spent part of the year we have had more murders than I care to speak to...
phelana

Postby Nanum » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:15 am

My husband and I have spent many lovely hours at Windward sunbathing and snorkeling. It is usually deserted but on occasion a few folks would wander in to enjoy the privacy and beauty of the beach. Rarely would we see someone alone on the beach. No matter where you are you need to be aware of your surroundings and because of the remoteness of this stretch of beach, no houses in sight, it is just not prudent to wander in alone, whether it's this beach in Antigua or any other island or any beach on the mainland. A very sad and needless loss of life but it does emphasize that we all need to be more vigilant no matter where we are.
Nanum

Postby -eli- » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:28 am

i was told that the ship has been asked to return to antigua.
-eli-

Postby franbanks » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:25 am

Our thoughts are with the family,i just wanted to say no matter where you go you need to be aware of whats around you,we live in the UK and we have murders,rapes, shootings and gang wars but it does not stop us from going out and living a free life,
We have been to Antigua now for a few years and really enjoy the country and its wonderful people,i just hope that this incident will not deter people from visiting ,it would be a real shame,
All i can say is treat it like any other country you visit,all countries have murders and this is no different from the rest, we arrive again in early Feb and cant wait

Regards and condolences to the womans family

Fran
franbanks

Postby VTJohn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:03 pm

I was on board the Royal Clipper, the cruise ship that docked off Pigeon Beach where this passenger was killed. I can assure you that you commenters on this forum have showed more ccmpassion and concern than was shown by the officers of this ship. After a day of rumours, the following announcement was made over the loudspeaker: "Today a family made an unfortunate disembsarkation due to a missing family member." End of announcement, end of story. No warning had been given to any passengers that the area might be dangerous. Passengers were encouraged by ship personnel to use a back path between the beach and the marina, which I believe is where the body was found. I totally blame the Star Clippers Cruise lIne for this tragedy. The next day on St. Kitts, the ship once again anchored off an isolated and un protected beach, with nary a word of warning to the passengers. I hope that attorneys for the family of the murdered girl put this irresponsible cruise line out of business. If the ship was asked to return after the murder, it did not comply. They passed around a photocopied note from the Antigua police asking passnegers to review their beach photos.
VTJohn

Postby phelana » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:57 am

VT I am sorry for your sad experience. This is an utter shame truly. I can only imagine the grief this family is experiencing..
phelana

Postby jailbird » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:14 am

Once again we have to question Law Enforcement in Antigua. When I was last there in November 2008 I actually visited the Prison and spoke to the girl being held over the british murders. I find in unbelievable that this case has not been to Court yet. The Judicial system must realise that the world is watching and waiting for the outcome of these dreadful murders and until that time I am sure people will not be happy visiting this wonderful island. Antigua, along with other caribbean islands, cannot afford to loose the revenue from tourists.

I may add that it will not stop me from returning, in fact I am returning in early March, but I think it should make us all more aware of our safety.

My sincere condolences to the family concerned. (how many more times am I going to write this line ?)

JB
jailbird

Next

Return to Safety and Crime